When I think about appetizer that is easy to make with ingredients that I always have on hand, I think about gougère! Originally from France, these cheese puffs are perfect to kick off any party. Pretty, tasty, they go so well with chilled white wine or champagne.
All you need is just a little bit of all-purpouse flour, eggs, cheese, butter and…patience to stir the dough.
250 ml. water
100 g. grated cheese (Gruyère, Emmentaler, Parmesan)
75 g. unsalted butter
150 g. all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
pastry bag with a plain tip
1. Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat the water, butter, salt and pepper in a saucepan until the butter is melted.
3. Sift the flour into the water and stir the mixture until it pulls away from the sides of a pan. Remove from heat.
4. Add eggs into the batter, one at a time. Stir quickly to don`t let the eggs “cook”.
5. Add grated cheese and stir until well-mixed.
6. Scrape the mixture into a pastry bag and pipe the dough into small balls (walnut size), evenly spaced-apart.
7. Place the baking sheet in the oven.
8. Bake for 15 minutes until the puffs are slightly golden. Remove the sheet from the oven. Poke the side of each puff with a knife to release the steam. Return gougère to the oven and bake for more 5 minutes, until golden brown.
Serve warm. You can also make puffs in advance and preheat them before your guests arrive.